Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My 19th birthday in Kings Cross



Recently I celebrated my 19th birthday.

I went to a Kings Cross in Sydney. Quite a famous strip of clubs (pun intended).

It was such a shock. It was like stepping into another world. I come from a fairly large city just two hours from Sydney but it's nothing compared to Sydney, or the cities of places like the US.

A night clubbing where I live, you see everyone you know and grew up with through the highschools, everyone knows everyone. In Sydney I could be annonymous, I could be anyone I wanted for the night and it was so refreshing, I could wear what I wanted and act how I wanted because unlike my usual nights out I wouldnt see people who had known me since being a child.

I wore leather stiletto boots but teamed them with jeans to not look like a hooker, which are very common in "the cross" as it is called, so I suppose either way I would of fitted right in. I wore my big statement red lipstick but once again teamed it with not so dark eyes as to not look like a hooker.

I went out with two males who really know how to party and it was an absolutely amazing night that I will never forget.

All together I've estimated I did 28 shots, proof that the alcohol is watered down, because as a very small framed female, no matter how seasoned I am, doing 28 shots in a time frame of about 2 hours should of put me in hospital.

Walking along the street men tried to hand me cards advertising their strip club. Knowing that if they convince me the two males I have in my company will follow.

One image I remember clearly is that of two girls sitting on a bus bench as the crowd of thousands move along the street, both dark haired and with heavy makeup smudged all over their faces. One had her head buried in her hands and tears streaming down her face and the other offering comfort. They appeared to be strippers or prostitutes of some sort and I kept thinking that I would never be able to understand what ever was behind those tears, that something led to them living that life and I never wanted to be the girl sitting on the bus bench with mascara running down my face.

Where I live it is notorious for the few clubs we have for being fairly bad but we don't have anything on Kings Cross. The main difference I noticed was that where I live you never see policemen at night on the streets which might be why even though Kings Cross is very bad place our lack of policemen put as at an equal standard. In Kings cross I must of seen atleast 60 scattered along the strip of clubs that is known to be the busiest part of Australia at that time of night. I crossed the road as two policemen rode past on horseback, holding up traffic but to my surprise not gaining the stares of passers by, to them it was just another night.

For me it was a crazy night, for others its a lifestyle. The glitter never gets washed off and mascara is merely applied over the top of what remains of the night before.

2 comments:

  1. Kings cross is one of my favorite place in Sydney.. Hope you had a great time there..

    Belated Happy Birthday Wishes to you!
    Birthday Party Cruise

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY thanks for the great comment! AND YES I totally agree! The range that I saw was not as great as it used to be! Given... I have not really lived in OZ for about 3 years... but I was definitely a little disappointed with the range as a whole. This particular shirt stood out to me... as did a gorgeous white embellished dress... but as you said... not "must have's".

    Stop by again soon!
    xoxo

    daringdarlingdelight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete